It’s a powerful time that we can either let slip by or take a moment to harness so we can direct its energy in a conscious way.
The Festival of Lights, or “Diwali” which means row of lamps, is a major holiday in India. It’s based on the lunar calendar which matches the natural rhythms of life more closely than the more arbitrary dates of our western solar calendar.
Celebrate Your Inner Light
The story behind Diwali varies by region but all agree that it’s a celebration of the victory of good over evil, of light over darkness.
This refers in part to our inner light of consciousness which dispels darkness and ignorance, including the ignorance of us as anything other than the unchanging, immanent reality. It’s the light of our presence shining through our conditioning.
It’s a time of renewal much like Christmas is for Christians.
Diwali’s also a time for honoring Lakshmi, the goddess of fortune, in hopes of increasing prosperity in the upcoming year. The planet Venus is related to Lakshmi and is especially strong right now since it’s retrograde in its own sign of Libra.
Around Diwali time, there are also other holidays in various cultures that are related to the goddess Kali (the destroyer): the Celtic festival Samhain, the Day of the Dead, and Halloween. And like Diwali, they also relate in one way or another to the Moon and its relationship to the Pleiades (aka the Seven Sisters, or Krittika in Vedic astrology) where the Moon is exalted. If you look up in the midnight sky this time of year, you will see that unmistakable constellation directly above.
Tonight is also the the new Moon and this one especially is very auspicious for doing any inner work.
Natural Support to Embrace Light and Prosperity
Over the next 5 days, the planets and stars are supporting us in allowing our light to prevail over darkness in our lives and in welcoming prosperity at the same time.
In addition, the energy of people all over the world attuning to this holiday and celebrating these same gifts further increases the power of these 5 days and nights.
I definitely want to take advantage of this, and thought you might too!
5 Simple Rituals
Here are 5 short but potent rituals you can do to invite light and prosperity to become constant companions in your life.
- Get quiet inside. Take a little while to feel the light of your presence glowing within you. Move through your body and feel it everywhere. Notice that the light isn’t confined to your body at all.
- Light a candle while inviting the universe to support your light and to help it shine even brighter in the coming year.
- Go within and see or feel the light within you that is wanting to shine into this physical world. What form might that take as it expresses itself? See what bubbles up. Whether you know the answer or not, light a candle and acknowledge that you will do what you can to allow that expression of your light as you move forward.
- Take a moment to appreciate the abundance that is already yours. If you can, speak it out loud. I am grateful for __________. Or I enjoy _________. Or I love _________. Choose the one that lifts your spirits the most. Do this for at least 3 minutes.
- Be grateful that all that you can possibly need is already yours.
You can pick and choose, or do them all. You can do them individually or combine several into one ritual (I especially like numbers 1 and 2 combined). You can do them once or repeat them each night.
And of course, you can (and should) use your own intuition to modify or add to these ideas as you see fit. I’m sure there’s at least oneyou could customize to make it feel even more powerful to you.
And if you have any rituals you’d like to share, please do. Maybe sharing rituals is part of what wants to shine through you!
May you shine brilliantly and may fortune and prosperity be yours now and in the upcoming year. Namasté.
If you’ve enjoyed this post, please subscribe — and share it on Twitter and with your friends. Thank you!