Ok, maybe you don’t get burps (or maybe you do), but did you know there is often some indication when you are processing or healing something? And just to be clear, I don’t mean signs like running to the wine cabinet or grabbing a bag of potato chips.
I bet if you start to pay attention, you’ll notice your own version of healing burps.
Last week, my husband and I attended a memorial service for a remarkable woman who contributed greatly to our little mountain community. It was held in the zendo at the nearby Zen Center and the house was packed, as they say.
Partway into the ceremony, I found myself having little burps. Then bigger burps. (Of course I was very discreet, sweet thing that I am.) Just then, I noticed my husband doing the same thing. (Although on a manly scale. Enough said. Just kidding.)
I looked at him and we kind of smiled at each other. Of course we knew what was going on. We were “processing”. Who knows exactly what. Who cares?
It was a good thing.
Examples of Processing
Have you ever paid attention to this? I never used to, but now it’s so common I can’t miss it. I’m not sure if it’s because I process more now or if it’s just that I notice it more now. I think it’s a combination of both.
Especially if you are empathic, you will often do this for others. It happens in situations like that memorial service where processing is going on at many levels. Or it can happen if you’re talking to a friend on the phone who’s going through a rough patch.
I always do this when I do an Emergence Session. It happens during and it happens quite a lot right afterward. It’s kind of like when you jog and then stop — there’s something moving that keeps moving even though you aren’t anymore.
It often happens during my Channeling Sessions too.
When I learned Reiki many years ago, my Reiki Master insisted on having her clients sign something before their session saying they would not get embarrassed and suppress their bodily activities during the session. Burping and farting were encouraged! She did a lot of burping herself, as I recall. (And she was good, what powerful sessions!)
Same with my channeling teacher. Lots of burping.
And it happens a lot in everyday life. I’m not talking about the times when it makes sense to burp because of something you just ate or drank. It comes out of nowhere when processing is obviously going on.
Here are some things you can watch for.
These vary widely from formal “healing” sessions to everyday activities.
They can be things like:
Sessions with clients
• Consciousness shifting sessions (like Emergence Sessions)
• Healing sessions (like Reiki, massage)
• Counseling situations (like intuitive sessions, channeling sessions, etc.)
In my experience this doesn’t happen so much when I’m “in my head” or very focused (e.g. during a jyotish astrology reading) as when I am in a softer space and more open intuitively. Do you have a different experience?
Contact with loved ones
• Open hearted in-person discussions
• Being near or with someone who’s having difficulties
• Phone calls
• Just thinking of that person
Once you get good at recognizing the signs, you’ll realize that it’s a reliable signal that your loved one is going through something, and you can offer your support, either directly or indirectly.
• Group gatherings (like the memorial service)
• Being in public (this doesn’t happen much for me because I’m usually in my head and relatively less porous)
Your own stuff
• When you’re doing something that is evoking emotion (e.g. writing in a journal, listening to music from when you were a teenager, etc.)
• When you are open intuitively to access personal guidance
• When you are intentionally working through something
There’s a range of these and I have had or done most of the following. I find that they each have a somewhat specialized purpose, but in general they are still “processing”.
You will have your own indicators, with one probably being most common.
They will always relate to some kind of movement.
Here are some common ones:
• Yawning (very common! can also indicate changing state of consciousness)
• Tummy or intestinal rumbling (more common in healing modalities)
• Farting (ta da, I said it!)(also more common in healing modalities)
• Sudden sleepiness (this can also be an avoidance tactic)
• Sudden heat in your body (this happens a lot when I do Reiki) And believe it or not, this can even be valid for menopausal women. Start to watch what’s going on when you have your hot flash. It can be very revealing.
• Crying (duh)
• A quick shiver or chill (sometimes this acts as a confirmation more than processing, but can be both)
This isn’t an exhaustive list and I’m sure there are more. But I know from experience that these things help process. When I have healing burps, my clients can feel things moving and so can I.
Lots of you work in similar fields as me and have clients of your own. Do you do this? How does yours manifest (if not toooo embarrassing)?
If you enjoyed this post, please share it with your friends on Twitter and Facebook. Want posts delivered to your reader or email? Click here to subscribe. Thank you!